Monday, March 14, 2016

What's a Girl to do in the City?




My friend Paul Burditch called me. I haven't heard his voice in 13+ years! Paul was the conduit for taking me to the Maldives to do an article for Sport Diver Magazine on the maiden voyage of the Four Seasons luxury dive yacht. 

We stayed in touch all those years and when he heard that I was returning to California, to San Francisco, where he lives, he said he would welcome me with open arms!


True to his word, he did. After meeting at his incredible flat, we Uber'd our way to the de Young Museum's opening day of the Oscar de la Renta exhibition. Oh swoon. To be in San Francisco, even on a rainy, cold, blustery day, let alone see the new de Young Museum AND the art of the iconic fashion designer, was heady stuff. 

It was one thing to see de la Renta's dresses on the red carpet at the Academy Awards, on TV, but to see them up close was exciting as hell! Pee your pants exciting!

Luckily Paul is a member of the museum and we zipped right in, with headphones that gave us and audio tour. 

The first room of de la Renta's couture designs was breathtaking. The lighting was incredible and the sleek mannequins perfect for showcasing each outfit. 



The wedding dresses made me think of the dresses in Sri Lanka, especially the extravagant Muslim wedding dresses. The texture of the materials, the beading - intricate knotting of a dress that Former First Lady Laura Bush wore - had me wanting to reach out and touch them. Oh how I wanted to.



My friend Mano Caderamapulle, one of the top fashion designers in Sri Lanka, would love  the exhibition. Simply love it. 

De la Renta's different periods were all represented. There was so much to love; his Spanish period, Russian period, the Garden period and Asian period. Seeing who loaned each gown was interesting as well. My friend Joanne is an Assistant Professor at Kent State University of Fashion and there were several gowns lent to the exhibition by them. Perhaps Joanne helped select them!








The exhibition ended all too early for me. I'll just have to go back. In fact I'm thinking of getting a de Young membership. It's the only way to go!


View from the Observatory 
 
Note: Most of the photos were taken by Paul as my iPhone died early into the exhibit. Thank you, Paul. We had a great time!

If you miss me, you can contact me at: llbyard@me.com. If you need photos taken in San Francisco, please contact me!

Contact ShadeTree Productions & J&M Photography for all your Sri Lanka photography/videography needs at 0777387735. Lipton and Jeshan will capture your special moments. 

Visit our new studio at 20 Gothami Road. 
Cheers! 
Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment