Sunday, March 2, 2014

Improvise!


What do you do when you’re in the countryside, where there’s no running water and you need to take a shower?

Visiting Lipton’s sister about 10-years-ago, I needed to wash after a sweaty day of visiting Lipton's relatives and walking around rice paddies taking photos.

Teckla, Lipton’s sister, rattled off something in Sinhala and Lipton’s eyes lit up. ‘The well!’ he said. ‘Wash at the well!’

Always wanting to try new things, and to get rid of my sticky sweat, I said okay. Teckla ran into the house to find me a ‘diya redda’, a shower sarong and came out with a small piece of red cloth. I wasn’t sure it would fit – or stay wrapped, but I was game to give it a try.

Once changed, Lipton helped me by hauling the first bucket of water from the well. He said, ’Ready?’ I nodded my head and he dumped the water.

Brrrrr! That was cold! I shivered although it wasn’t more than 27C (82F) in the night air.

Lipton and Teckla took turns hauling the bucket up by the rope and just wouldn’t stop. I was drowning! ‘Ati!’ I shouted. ‘Enough!’ They were trying to water board me!

After soaping from head to toe, they started tossing more buckets of water on me. At that point a crowd of children and a few adults had appeared. I couldn’t help but laugh. I felt like a monkey at the zoo.

Apart from the audience, I’d say it was the best shower I’ve ever had!

Teckla having fun!

Brrr! Cold, fresh water from the well!


Check out my photography website at: http://www.shadetreeSL.com
© ShadeTree Productions

No comments:

Post a Comment